I know that I recently posted a lot of readings but I was also interested in people's response to the latest debate in the Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute. It revolves around the article "Partible penitents: dividual pershood and Christian practice in Melanesia and the West" by Mark Mosko of ANU. Joel Robbins had told me to look out for this article almost a year ago, and it has already generated a lot of pre-publication debate. Mosko will also be coming out with a book that is a more expanded version of his argument in the next year. Although Mosko's argument is centered on the "New Melanesian Ethnography" inspired by Marilyn Strathern, his argument has wide implications for the anthropology of christianity in general, so it should be of a general interest to many of you as well. Below I've posted a link to a PDF bundle of his article and commenting papers by Joel Robbins, John Baker, Bruce Knauft, Frederick Errington, and Deborah Gewertz. Let us know what you think.(Quadripartite Structures)
Mosko, Mark (2010). Partible penitents: dividual pershood and Christian practice in Melanesia and the West. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute. 16, 215-240.

No comments:
Post a Comment