Monday, February 15, 2010

Real Beauty Day

Hello club friends,

This is Ariana and I am doing my senior capstone project for anthropology this semester with Joylin as my faculty advisor. For those of you who do know me, you probably know that almost all of my research has been on women's issues, most recently working with beauty pageant contestants (i know right). Out of this research, I had the idea of having a "Real Beauty" day on campus (Friday, April 2nd) dedicated to raising awareness of the exploitation of female beauty. Some things we are doing:

- Implementing No Makeup Day on campus on April 2nd (yeah!)
- Hanging up a lot of banners with messages such as "Beauty can't be bought or sold"
- Open mic space for people to share ideas about what real beauty is
- One or two hands on activities
- Filming 30 second segments for the TV screens at UVU
- Designing flyers to pass out and T-shirts to wear on April 2nd
- Setting up recycling bins to recycle beauty magazines (we wanted to do a bonfire but decided against it. You're welcome, environment.)

I am looking for help in ANY of these areas, and if you feel interested at all, leave a comment or email me at ariana.bentz@gmail.com. I am really hoping to make a statement and would definitely appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Ariana

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd like to help out.

Loraine said...

I have no problem with wearing no make- up on April 2.

Here's a thought I had- I'm really starting to hate Victoria's Secret. As much as I love comfortable under- things, the modeling aspect and the pricing- $30 for a pair of panties, etc.- seems to imply that affluence is sexy- i.e. if you can't afford to be beautiful, well isn't that just too bad.
What do you think?

ariana said...

Yes! I actually worked at Victoria's Secret for a brief time and used a lot of that experience for research papers on the objectification of breasts.

Not only does it imply that affluence is sexy, but also they do not have even have ONE breastfeeding bra in the store, only push-up, low cut, lacey impractical bras - which says that breasts should not be considered as the functional objects that they are and instead represent breasts in a purely sexual way.

Unknown said...

If all the girls go no make-up style will our school implode?

ariana said...

hopefully.

Anonymous said...

I might not be of much help but I'll lend an extra hand if needed.

ariana said...

thank you!! how come men have been more responsive than women? (tiny bit of sexism in that question of mine) anyway the man help is so so awesome.

Gina said...

This is a really great concept –I’d love to see something like that happening over here (N.I) How did it go? xx