Friday, February 26, 2010

Student Anthropology Workshop

I know that we've floated this idea around in the past, but I thought I should post it here to see what the response is like. I think it could be a great experience for us if we got together and formally presented some of our research to each other. I thought that we could either do it as a reading group where we share our papers before hand and discusses them in a open format with the author, or we can do it in a informal conference format where a person presents for 10 minutes and then the group discusses for 10-15 minutes. This could be really helpful experience for a lot of students who could use the feedback and practice presenting their ideas. I for one, love to hear feed back and critiques of my research. It is the most effective way for it to improve. I thought we could probably make it a formal day event at UVU. It's pretty late in the semester, but I bet we could find good support from the department and the school in organizing the workshop. Is anyone interested in participating in something like this? What kind of format would you prefer? Would you be interested in presenting or just discussing? For how long should the workshop last? What days and times would work for you? If we did lunch in between sessions, before, or after where would you like to go? Let me know what you think. Thanks.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I'd be more than happy to help coordinate this with the department if it's something you guys want to do.

(I hope you don't feel like I'm spying on here as an academic advisor, but I love knowing what you guys are up to...)

Kristen

Kat said...

I think this is a great idea but we really need to get younger students in this for it to be valuable for everyone. I think some of us might be intimidating for some students but its the only way we can all grow. Have you posted this on the facebook page as well? That may reach more people too.

Unknown said...

iamin.com